It refers to the act of identifying with a specific geographic region of a nation. Each region has it's own culture and eccentricities, blessings and challenges.
Where are you and your family from?
I was born in Leicester and my parents were both born in Coventry. Their parents are from Wales and Ireland. 'Callanan' is an Irish surname.
Do you have an accent or use dialect words for things? ( e.g. I call an alleyway between two houses a jitty')
I wouldn't say I have an accent, but obviously people from other regions would say I have.
In my house it's called a 'batch', not a 'cob' or a 'bread roll'
Do you think you can tell where people come from by their accent/clothing/food habits/how they spend money/etc ?
No, it all depends on the individual. There are stereotypes for how people from different areas behave, but you cannot tell based on those things alone, you need to know their background story.
Do we have different opinions of people if they are from urban or rural areas? What about in the past if people came from urban or rural areas?
We do have different opinions of the 'city dwellers' and the 'country folk', but again, we can't assume anything, it's all about the individuals background. In the past, urban to rural migration would have been easier to spot as the divide between people of different regions would have been more prominent physically.
Thanks Sophie. Hope this has made you think about how we might spot regional identity in clips.
ReplyDelete